Oh my warm, happy soup dance in my belly. This soup was delish.
I saw this recipe on the Handle the Heat and it was yuuuuumy! It was snowing off and on all day today and this recipe was perfect for the first really cold day of the year.
Lots of fresh veggies 🙂
Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini
From All Recipes
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water (or additional beef broth – I went all beef broth!)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 large tomatoes – peeled, seeded and chopped (use a super sharp peeler or this method to peel the tomatoes. I used canned…and they were just fine.)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini (I skipped zucchini and did celery instead.)
- 8 ounces fresh tortellini pasta
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a 5 quart Dutch oven, brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Saute onions and garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. (If you substitute the zucchini for celery like I did, go ahead and put the celery in.) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from the soup (there was no fat on mine, FYI.) Stir in zucchini if you used it, and parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.